Hybrid cell lines between HuT292-DM, a human lung carcinoma line resistant to 6-thioguanine and ouabain, and either normal human bronchial epithelial cells (NHBE) or an SV40 “immortalized” but nontumorigenic derivative thereof (BEAS-2B), have been isolated by double selection. Hybrids of NHBE and HuT292-DM cells senesced after 40–43 population doublings in culture. In contrast, hybrids of BEAS-2B and HuT292-DM showed no sign of a culture “crisis” and have an indefinite life span. HuT292-DM cells produced tumors in 100% of athymic nude mice with a mean latency of 27 days, whereas tumorigenicity was totally suppressed in 76% of the BEAS-2B × HuT292-DM hybrids, with a 2- to 3-fold increased tumor latency in the remaining 24% of these hybrids. While the hybrids are hypotriploid to hypotetraploid, the parental lines are hypodiploid. The growth of HuT292-DM cells is stimulated, whereas NHBE and BEAS-2B cells are inhibited by serum. The growth response of the BEAS-2B × HuT292-DM hybrids to serum is similar to that of HuT292-DM cells. Thus, tumorigenicity and culture longevity are dominantly controlled by the nontumorigenic parent (NHBE or BEAS-2B). On the other hand, serum responsiveness is more similar to that of the tumorigenic parent (HuT292-DM).

This content is only available via PDF.